Mandatory Safety Rules
Please understand that for the safety of everyone, the safety rules are strictly enforced. This means if you break these rules YOU WILL BE DISQUALIFIED AND ASKED TO GO HOME. We do not do this to be punitive, but rather for the safety of everyone participating.
Four Rules of Firearms Safety
- All Firearms are ALWAYS loaded!
- NEVER let the muzzle of the firearm cover anything you are not willing to destroy!
- ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target!
- ALWAYS be sure of your target and what is behind it!
We Always Run a Cold Range
A COLD range means that firearms are never loaded, meaning no rounds in the cylinder, barrel or magazine, as well as no magazines in the magazine well, unless you are directed to load your firearm by a Range Officer during a course of fire.
In addition, unloaded firearms are to be holstered at all times, except in designated safe areas, which will be marked as such, and at the direction of a Range Officer. Ammunition is NOT allowed in safe areas.
Special Shotgun Safety Rules
We have additional strict Shotgun Safety Rules that we will enforce to the letter. Anyone found not complying with these rules will be IMMEDIATELY DISQUALIFIED from the match and asked to go home. NO EXCEPTIONS!
- When carrying a Shotgun on Harvard Sportsman’s property the shotgun MUST be carried with the action VISIBLY OPEN and with the muzzle pointed directly towards the sky.
- When putting a shotgun down the action MUST be VISIBLY OPEN with the Stock Butt placed on the ground and the muzzle pointed diectly towards the sky.
- Shotguns are NEVER allowed indoors, in the Club House, or in the inside range.